Current:Home > reviewsSouthern California forecast of cool temps, calm winds to help firefighters battle Malibu blaze -Capitatum
Southern California forecast of cool temps, calm winds to help firefighters battle Malibu blaze
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-05 19:45:57
MALIBU, Calif. (AP) — Cooler temperatures, calmer winds and a chance of rainfall in Southern California this week are forecast to help firefighters as they battle a wind-driven blaze in steep, rugged terrain that’s driven thousands, including celebrities, from their homes in Malibu.
The weather improved so much Wednesday that meteorologists said all red flag warnings, which indicate conditions for high fire danger and the notorious Santa Ana winds, were discontinued. The conditions allowed firefighters to have “a lot of success” despite the nearly inaccessible terrain, CalFire Assistant Chief Dusty Martin said.
Still, some 20,000 residents remained under evacuation orders and warnings Wednesday evening from the blaze, dubbed the Franklin Fire, which was only 7% contained over 6 square miles (16 square kilometers).
It’s unclear how the blaze started. Officials said nine structures had been destroyed and at least six others had been damaged, though crews had only surveyed about 25% of the affected area, said Deputy Chief Albert Yanagisawa of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Much of the devastation occurred in Malibu, a community of about 10,000 people on the western edge of Los Angeles known for its stunning bluffs and Zuma Beach, which features in many Hollywood films.
Flames burned near horse farms, celebrities’ seaside mansions, and Pepperdine University,where students were forced to shelter in place on campus for a second night Tuesday.
Faculty members are determining how best to complete the semester, which ends at Pepperdine this week. Final exams were postponed or canceled, depending on the class, university spokesperson Michael Friel said. An early analysis showed little to no damage to structures on campus, the university said.
Lonnie Vidaurri’s four-bedroom home in the Malibu Knolls neighborhood is one of those destroyed. After evacuating to a hotel in Santa Monica with his wife and two young daughters, a neighbor called to tell Vidaurri that firefighters would need to break into his house.
“It’s pretty torched all around,” Vidaurri said. He expects that the family’s pet bunnies did not survive the fire, and that they lost most of their things. “My girls cried, obviously, but it could have been worse.”
Mimi Teller, a Red Cross spokesperson who worked in the Pacific Palisades neighborhood, said many people arrived in their pajamas and were “definitely in shock.”
“Nobody even had a backpack, it was, ‘Get out now,’” Teller said. “One lady didn’t even have a leash for her dog, she just scooped them up.”
Shawn Smith said he was asleep early Tuesday when someone knocked on his RV at 3 a.m. to wake him up to evacuate the Malibu RV Park.
“You could see the fires rolling in, in over the canyon,” he said. “It was like ‘Holy crap, this is real.’”
He returned Wednesday to find that the RV park had been saved — firefighters stopped the flames just before they entered the area.
“We got lucky,” he said.
Dick Van Dyke, one of many celebrities with homes in Malibu, said in a Facebook post that he and his wife, Arlene Silver, evacuated as the fire swept in. And Cher evacuated from her Malibu home when ordered and is staying at a hotel, her publicist, Liz Rosenberg, said Tuesday.
The fire erupted shortly before 11 p.m. Monday and swiftly moved south, jumping over the famous Pacific Coast Highway and extending all the way to the ocean. It was propelled by Santa Ana winds, with gusts that reached 40 mph (64 kph). Santa Anas are notorious seasonal winds that blow dry air from the interior toward the coast, pushing back moist ocean breezes.
Alec Gellis stayed behind Monday night to save his home in Malibu’s Serra Retreat neighborhood from the flames. He used pumps in the home’s swimming pool to help spray water over the house and surrounding vegetation, turning the lush area “into a rainforest.”
Gellis said there were flames within 5 feet (1.5 meters) of the home on all sides. “The whole canyon was completely lit up.”
Utilities preemptively shut off power to tens of thousands of homes and businesses, starting Monday night, to mitigate the impactsof the Santa Ana winds, whose strong gusts can damage electrical equipment and spark wildfires.
As of Wednesday afternoon, electricity was still out for roughly 600 Southern California Edison customers, and the majority of those were in Los Angeles County, said utility spokesperson Gabriela Ornelas.
“We have been making significant progress,” she said.
Outages in Malibu were not included in that figure, Ornelas said. Some 3,300 customers in the Malibu area remained without power, due to safety shutoffs and for firefighter safety. Power was first shut off to most customers in Malibu on Monday evening.
The Woolsey Firethat roared through the area in 2018, killing three people and destroying 1,600 homes, was sparked by Edison equipment. Asked Wednesday if Edison equipment was involved in the Franklin Fire, Ornelas referred all questions regarding the cause to fire officials.
___
Weber reported from Los Angeles and Aoun reported from San Diego. Associated Press journalists Stefanie Dazio in Los Angeles; Amy Taxin in Orange County, California; Sarah Brumfield in Washington; and Eric Thayer, Damian Dovarganes and Jaimie Ding in Malibu, California, contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1411)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- California reports the first increase in groundwater supplies in 4 years
- Turkey halts all trade with Israel as war with Hamas in Gaza claims more civilian lives
- Kim Godwin out as ABC News president after 3 years as first Black woman as network news chief
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- FBI says an infant abducted from New Mexico park has been found safe; a suspect is in custody
- Ukrainian Olympic weightlifter Oleksandr Pielieshenko dies in war with Russia
- Dallas Stars knock out defending champion Vegas Golden Knights with Game 7 win
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Person falls from stands to their death during Ohio State graduation ceremony
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- The Most Wanted Details on Bad Bunny’s Best Fashion Moments and 2024 Met Gala Look
- Bridgerton's Nicola Coughlan and Luke Newton Reveal Unexpected Secret Behind Their Sex Scenes
- Dance Moms' Brooke Hyland Engaged to Brian Thalman—See Her Stunning Ring
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, May 5, 2024
- Kate Beckinsale Responds to Plastic Surgery Accusations While Slamming Insidious Bullying
- Queen Rania of Jordan says U.S. is seen as enabler of Israel
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Calling All Sleeping Beauties: These Products Transform Your Skin Overnight
Princess Beatrice says Sarah Ferguson is 'all clear' after battling two types of cancer
Zendaya's Best Met Gala Looks Prove Her Fashion Game Has No Challengers
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Lidia Bastianich, Melody Thomas Scott and Ed Scott to receive Daytime Emmys lifetime achievement
When and where you can see the Eta Aquariids meteor shower peak
Tom Brady’s Netflix roast features lots of humor, reunion between Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick